Monday, October 25, 2010

Back from Down Under

I'm back!!
Let me tell you Australia was amazing! We started out in Sydney, then went up to Katoomba where the blue mountains are. After that we took a plane and flew up to Cairns got the rental car and headed north to Cape Tribulation (love this place). After Cape Trib we went and spent the last few days in Cairns.

So I'm making a book about my trip, instead of going and printing all the pictures, and it's got all the good stories so I don't forget them. So I really don't want to type everything twice, so you will get the very short and sweet version. If you want to know more you can wait until I'm done with my book or just approach me in person and ask.

Sydney- I think one word will do it justice "City", but I'll explain. I'm am not a huge city person. We arrived there and within the first 2 hours I think I saw everything worth seeing there. Yup. But we had to spend the entire day there. So guess what we walked around a lot, and almost died a good few hundred times from the traffic. Never ever drive in Sydney. If any of you think that I am bad at tail gating or cutting people off, Sydney drivers make me look like an angel. We left Sydney after one day.

Katoomba- I adored this place. Home of the Blue Mountains. But the weather was a rather large shock. SNOW! It's supposed to be spring over there. The temperature was below 0 degrees Celsius at night. Anyway I had a blast hiking through the blue mountains. They have this stair case called The Giant Stairway. It's 861 steps, extremely steep. We thought we'd be cool and climb up them. Rough stuff yet exhilarating.

Cape Tribulation- Beautiful place, it's like walking into Jurassic park. Seriously I thought a dinosaur was going to jump out any moment. No dinosaurs, but I did have to worry about Cassowaries. They are these birds like Emu's with blue heads. Any way they can kill you with one kick of there wickedly sharp feet! Let's just say I was a little scared of them. We found out though that they were extremely endangered and there is only about 1200 in all of Australia, only about 65 live in Cape Trib. All the locals were like "No worries, you'll never see one in the wild." My fear subsided a bit after they said that. Any out for a walk one day and I was complaining rather loudly about some nasty, boogie textured fruit that was making me angry because I couldn't eat it right because I would just mash the nasty thing. This lady comes around the corner signal for us to shut up. I was like please what is there a possum. Well guess what my nemesis was right around the corner. Never see one in the wild..... I'm thankful for that strange woman. She saved my life. I would have died that day, and the last thing I would have eaten was a nasty star apple that tasted like a booger. Anyway Cape Trib was exhilarating we went ocean kayaking through some good 4 to 5 foot waves and then a huge 7 foot one flipped me. Then we went snorkeling, I tried to climb a coconut tree (not easy). Any way I loved this place. (Tiny little town, not the city, which is probably why I loved it so much.

Cairns- This is a big city. Lame. But they did have some amazing stuff. Amber and I went to a night zoo. I got to pet me some kangaroos and koalas and feed them!!! AMAZING! And they fed us some delicious food. While there we also went to a croc farm. Pretty neat, they raise croc like we raise cows. haha For food and leather. Any way they also had a zoo attached to it to. Loads of crocodiles, crazy Steve Irwin like men running around with the crocodiles.

Plane ride was horrible it took us 29 hours to get home. I didn't feel so hot on the plane. Something I ate didn't agree with my stomach. Must have ate way to much at the night zoo. Hey it was all you can eat.

Ok so this was not nearly as short as I thought it was going to be, but there are loads more stories, but I'm done here.....

P.S. I apologize to all who read this (mostly Amber, who always points these out), I did not proof read this so I'm assuming there will be multiple typos, or incorrect grammar.

4 comments:

Ty and Ber said...

BAHAHA love the PS note. Because I was going to tell you...JK.

That was a mighty fine trip. Thanks for going with me. I am surprised that you didn't mention anything about stinky man and his potato since odd random things and foul odors are your specialty (I'm talking about your work stories not you personally).
I could go for a chicken burger or some night zoo food right about now. YUMMO!
So glad we didn't die driving in Sydney!

kcooke said...

YAY!!! Sounds like a BLAST..mostly. I am glad you got to go and have a good time, I may have to see your book, because nobody tells stories like you do :)

Stacy said...

Seeing your pics on sunday was fun. I am glad that you had the opportunity to go. Someday maybe I'll beable to go on an adventure with you????????????? Well Maybe someday way way way down the road.

Anyway I love your stories. Glad you survived

Jessica & Shayne said...

That sounds like you had alot of fun. When you are done with your book i want to see. you are lucky though i wish i could have gone. :)